ok. So I know I said that these things are hard (For those new readers, I wrote last week that compiling my albums list was pretty freakin difficult), but man. I never thought that there would be so many remixes to dwindle down. It’s been a bloody good year for remixes I reckon. Hype bands like Phoenix, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Miike Snow have had the shit remixed out of them (I counted 34 remixes in my iTunes for Phoenix alone and I’m sure that’s only about half of them available out there). There has also been a few new dudes/dudettes to come on the scene who have produced some great remixes (Alan Wilkis is an awesome example of this).
Anyway, here it is though. (No order…too hard to do that too!)
The MAAMF Top 10 Remixes of 2009
Miami Horror – Sometimes (G.L.O.V.E.S. Remix)
What do you think? Good list? I think it covers a bit. I originally had close to 40 remixes that were all in serious contention…so I’m sure I’ve left something out etc. A few standouts for me were the Alan Wilkis remix of TTT. Changed the song completely, and it worked bloody well. He had a few remixes in contention actually – check his remixes out on Hype Machine. Another standout of the year would definitely be G.L.O.V.E.S. He’s put forward some awesome remixes this year – so good, I had to include 2 in my list! There were other obvious inlusions like Fred Falke (it wouldn’t be a MAAMF best of list without some of the Falkemeister) and his French pal Yuksek. All of them were standouts though…you know…that’s what a best of list is kinda all about and shit.
Anyway, comment away.
ok. So there’s this guy called Burns. He’s a London based DJ who’s been remixing a fair bit lately. And they’re bloody good remixes too! Probably the most prominent out there in the land of the internet is the Walking On A Dream remix, which you can check out on iTunes here. There’s also a killer remix of Passion Pit’s The Reeling going around too. And that is a definate fave.
But yeah, I think the track I’ll leave you with is his remix of Extraball by Yuksek
Yuksek – Extraball (Burns Remix)
Second for this remix that post is none other than Fred Falke. Mr Falke seems to be popping up wherever I look with killer remixes of awesome tracks. There’s the remix of U2’s newy Magnificant which i popped up a few weeks ago. That is really good. There’s also a great remix of one of my favourite songs Kelly by Van She that he did with Alan Braxe. There’s also the Grizzly Bear Two Weeks remix, the awesome reworking of Golden Cage by Whitest Boy Alive, and the two great remixes of Back of The Van by Ladyhawke. You can check out all of those on Beatport. But the track I’m going to leave you with is probably the track when I realised how good this dude can be. It’s the remix of New In Town by Little Boots
Little Boots – New In Town (Fred Falke Remix)
K. That’ll do the ramble for now.
ok. My name’s Miks, and I’m a commitment-phobe. Well…not really. But, it has been a while since I’ve posted up some new music. The Mix Tape is sort of the same thing I know, but meh. This entry lists a few tracks that were part of the Mid May MIXTAPE entry too. Again, meh!
Hahahaha…ok, so here’s the list. It’s pretty good. Sounds a bit like a remix that entry. But yeah, you know what word I’m going to say to that.
- In For The Kill (Lifelike Remix) – La Roux (Good song! Never really thought I’d get into these guys. But, I am. I think their appearance on the new Kitsune Compilation may help along with the La Roux love! Also, Lifelike has been getting around. Not in a sexual sense. Obviously. Actually, I’m not sure…ok…umm this is getting weird. haha)
- Too Fake – Hockey (Posted this last week I know. But it’s still definately a favourite track at the moment. Great band. Looking forward to hearing some more stuff from these guys.)
- Kids – Chiddy Bang vs. MGMT (Found this on Hype Machine. This guy rips this song in half and makes it Hip Hop. And, although it sounds pretty mainstream, is a fun track.)
- Symphonies (Passion Pit Remix) – Dan Black (Obviously, anything Passion Pit is popular at the moment. They’re probably about the biggest band of the moment hands down (Grizzly Bear are probably a close second). Don’t know much about Dan Black…other than this is a good track)
- It’s Not My Problem (Thin White Duke Remix) – Sneaky Sound System (I use to love these guys a few years ago. Then they got a little commercial (Not that that’s a bad thing) and I just didn’t like their stuff as much. I downloaded this track off a whim…and am pretty impressed. Connie Mitchell can still sing damn well. Cooooool voice!)
- Out Of Control (Acoustic) – Dash & Will (Once again, I downloaded this track because it was free. And, i’ve liked some of Dash & Will’s stuff. Kinda like a grown up Veronicas (Can’t believe I just wrote that. Argh). But they’re better than the Veronicas. Much better)
- One Week Of Danger – The Virgins (Why the hell aren’t these guys massive? From what I gather, they must be pretty big in the UK and the US going by song polls and best of 2008 album write ups. Hopefully they’ll start getting more radio play here. Great sound.)
- Bulletproof – La Roux (Hmm…I must like these guys. Maybe I should get their album. Bulletproof is their latest single, and is, I think, their best one so far.)
- Lisztsomania (Yuksek Remix) – Phoenix (Another massive band of the moment. And with fellow Frenchman Yuksek behind this remix, the song rips ‘grand temps’. I was never that good at French at high school.)
- Something Good Can Work – Two Door Cinema Club (Good, fun sounding track. Appears on the new Kitsune compilation which comes out next month I think)
- Laughing With – Regina Spektor (Cool. Got that ‘quirk’ factor that sets her apart from other piano based singer songwriters. I fell in love with her track Sampson a few years back and haven’t looked back!)
Anyway, that’s it. Check them out. Buy their stuff. Is an eclectic list this week (I’m trying to make this thing a weekly thing you see…will it happen?? Wait and see I suppose.)
K. That’ll do the ramble for now.