MAY ’12 MIX
Man, two mixes in as many days. This here be the MAY mixtape, full of the tracks that have helped me survive what has been a really full on month.
In true maamf form, it’s a whole heap of genres in there from the killer techno of Sydney gents CSMNT61 to the Australiana sing-a-long feel of The Starry Field. These mixes are actually a heap of fun to make – might see if I can up the amount.
Allday X C1 – Run A Mile
Goldroom – Fifteen (ft Chela)
Andras Fox – Touchy (instrumental)
Catcall – Shoulda Beeen
The Temper Trap – Need Your Love (RAC Mix)
DiIV – Doused
Joe McKee – A Double Life
Giraffage – Holy Mountain
CSMNT61 – Keep Holding On
Catcall – The World Is Ours (Lancelot Remix)
Passion Pit – Take A Walk (Peking Duk Remix)
The Trouble With Templeton – Someday Soon
Bored Nothing – Only Old
The Starry Field – If All Your Troubles Were A Sea
Ok. So there are a few sweet as gigs coming soon…and we’ve got a few tix going at our posse store. But, instead of you clicking on about 3 links to get to the page where you can buy tix, we thought we’d just give you direct links. Of course, if there’s something that you wish was here but isn’t, then it may just be on our posse page, but yeah, here’s a bit of a selection.
Miami Horror are out on tour supporting their latest single Moon Theory. The guys are half way through their tour which looks to end in a few weeks. Check ’em out at:
The Corner Hotel in Richmond (VIC) on the 28th (TIX) and 29th of May (TIX).
They’re also playing at The Manning Bar at Sydney Uni on the 12th of June (TIX).
US Hip Hop kid Common hits our shores pretty soon which should be a bit of ace. Check him out at:
The Forum in Sydney on June 11th (TIX) and at the The Prince of Wales in St Kilda (VIC) on June 12 (TIX).
Indie folk pin up Matt Corby plays the Raval in Surrey Hills (NSW) on July 1 (TIX) and the Toff in Town in Melbourne on July 8th (TIX).
Everyone’s favourite indie electro pop kids Passion Pit are playing a few Spendour sideshows throughout August.
They’re going to be hitting The Forum in Sydney on August 2 (TIX)
Melbourne boys Midnight Juggernauts are on tour in August also playing some Spleadour sideshows. Definitely check out these dudes.
They’re also playing at The Forum in Sydney on the 20th of August (TIX)
So that’s the run down. Have only gone for the more major capital city shows on here, but check out our Posse store for a few extras.
The 10 Best Remixes of 2009
ok. So I know I said that these things are hard (For those new readers, I wrote last week that compiling my albums list was pretty freakin difficult), but man. I never thought that there would be so many remixes to dwindle down. It’s been a bloody good year for remixes I reckon. Hype bands like Phoenix, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Miike Snow have had the shit remixed out of them (I counted 34 remixes in my iTunes for Phoenix alone and I’m sure that’s only about half of them available out there). There has also been a few new dudes/dudettes to come on the scene who have produced some great remixes (Alan Wilkis is an awesome example of this).
Anyway, here it is though. (No order…too hard to do that too!)
The MAAMF Top 10 Remixes of 2009
Miike Snow – Animal (Mark Ronson Remix)
The Scare – Could Be Bad (G.L.O.V.E.S. 12″ Megamix)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Heads Will Roll (Passion Pit Remix)
Phoenix – Lisztomania (Yuksek Remix)
Little Boots – New In Town (Fred Falke Remix)
Ladyhawke – Paris is Burning (Alex Metric Remix)
Miami Horror – Sometimes (G.L.O.V.E.S. Remix)
The Temper Trap – Sweet Disposition (Alan Wilkis Remix)
Lost Valentinos – Thief (Shinichi Osawa Remix)
Van She – Talkin’ (Van She Tech Remix)
What do you think? Good list? I think it covers a bit. I originally had close to 40 remixes that were all in serious contention…so I’m sure I’ve left something out etc. A few standouts for me were the Alan Wilkis remix of TTT. Changed the song completely, and it worked bloody well. He had a few remixes in contention actually – check his remixes out on Hype Machine. Another standout of the year would definitely be G.L.O.V.E.S. He’s put forward some awesome remixes this year – so good, I had to include 2 in my list! There were other obvious inlusions like Fred Falke (it wouldn’t be a MAAMF best of list without some of the Falkemeister) and his French pal Yuksek. All of them were standouts though…you know…that’s what a best of list is kinda all about and shit.
Anyway, comment away.
Tim & Jean
Tim & Jean are two guys from Western Australia who have shot to a little bit of fame through Triple J’s Unearthed High competition. Their track Come Around is one of 6 tracks from six finalists from right across Australia. This is a competition that has discovered acts such as Grindspoon, Missy Higgins, and The Bumblebeez amongst others.
Some may call the fellas a younger version of Passion Pit and a bit of Damn Arms ‘Destination’ thrown in. But I reckon that’s a good thing! Dammit! Check out their MySpace for a better idea of what they’re really about.
The Unearthed High finalists will be announced tomorrow morning so here’s fingers crossed for Tim & Jean. Check them out on their Unearthed and their MySpace. Stay tuned too, hopefully, for a mini feature on the boys once they win unearthed(!).
K. That’ll do the ramble for now.
Leave Them All Behind III
ok. Modular are definitely one of my favourite record labels out there. Apart from their idea of a music festival last year, they house some of the best bands out there. People who know me will know that I don’t shut up about how good Cut Copy and Van She are. I also LOVE the Avalanches and am waiting on their new release. And their recent signings of Canyons and the Bang Gang boys have got me a bit excited.
But, i do digress. Every few years Modular put out a compilation called Leave Them All Behind. I’m a bit late onto the bandwagon, but their previous releases are pretty impressive. All three so far have featured a mixed cd and an unmixed cd. You can check out the previous two here via the ModPeople site. This time round, the boys from Bang Gang Deejays have mixed the first disc. There’s definitely a few of my favourite tracks of this year on this disc, so is a bit exciting. Golden Filter’s track Solid Gold features as well as the Vemixes version of Changes by the much loved Van She.
The second disc also features some faves of mine. Stuff like Passion Pit, Friendly Fires and Whitest Boy Alive all feature. I reckon if you like the Kitsune releases, you will probably like this comp. I’d call it Kitsune with a little bit less of an electro feel (the second disc obviously).
I’ve ordered my copy (free with a modular tote bag…ok!) from the JBHiFi website. If you’re not in Australia, you should check out the ModPeople online shop. It comes out on the 7th of August here…not too sure about OS.
To leave you with, a sneak peak of the tracks featured. Mixed by the Bang Gang boys, it’s not the best teaser mix put out for a compilation – the JBAG mix of the Kitsune7 Compilation was pretty stella. This teaser mix DOES give a pretty good idea of the style of tracks on the comp though 🙂
Leave Them All Behind III Tease Her MIX – Modular Records
Also check out the Modular Blog if you like what you hear.
K. That’ll do the ramble for now.
New Music First #4
ok. My name’s Miks, and I’m a commitment-phobe. Well…not really. But, it has been a while since I’ve posted up some new music. The Mix Tape is sort of the same thing I know, but meh. This entry lists a few tracks that were part of the Mid May MIXTAPE entry too. Again, meh!
Hahahaha…ok, so here’s the list. It’s pretty good. Sounds a bit like a remix that entry. But yeah, you know what word I’m going to say to that.
- In For The Kill (Lifelike Remix) – La Roux (Good song! Never really thought I’d get into these guys. But, I am. I think their appearance on the new Kitsune Compilation may help along with the La Roux love! Also, Lifelike has been getting around. Not in a sexual sense. Obviously. Actually, I’m not sure…ok…umm this is getting weird. haha)
- Too Fake – Hockey (Posted this last week I know. But it’s still definately a favourite track at the moment. Great band. Looking forward to hearing some more stuff from these guys.)
- Kids – Chiddy Bang vs. MGMT (Found this on Hype Machine. This guy rips this song in half and makes it Hip Hop. And, although it sounds pretty mainstream, is a fun track.)
- Symphonies (Passion Pit Remix) – Dan Black (Obviously, anything Passion Pit is popular at the moment. They’re probably about the biggest band of the moment hands down (Grizzly Bear are probably a close second). Don’t know much about Dan Black…other than this is a good track)
- It’s Not My Problem (Thin White Duke Remix) – Sneaky Sound System (I use to love these guys a few years ago. Then they got a little commercial (Not that that’s a bad thing) and I just didn’t like their stuff as much. I downloaded this track off a whim…and am pretty impressed. Connie Mitchell can still sing damn well. Cooooool voice!)
- Out Of Control (Acoustic) – Dash & Will (Once again, I downloaded this track because it was free. And, i’ve liked some of Dash & Will’s stuff. Kinda like a grown up Veronicas (Can’t believe I just wrote that. Argh). But they’re better than the Veronicas. Much better)
- One Week Of Danger – The Virgins (Why the hell aren’t these guys massive? From what I gather, they must be pretty big in the UK and the US going by song polls and best of 2008 album write ups. Hopefully they’ll start getting more radio play here. Great sound.)
- Bulletproof – La Roux (Hmm…I must like these guys. Maybe I should get their album. Bulletproof is their latest single, and is, I think, their best one so far.)
- Lisztsomania (Yuksek Remix) – Phoenix (Another massive band of the moment. And with fellow Frenchman Yuksek behind this remix, the song rips ‘grand temps’. I was never that good at French at high school.)
- Something Good Can Work – Two Door Cinema Club (Good, fun sounding track. Appears on the new Kitsune compilation which comes out next month I think)
- Laughing With – Regina Spektor (Cool. Got that ‘quirk’ factor that sets her apart from other piano based singer songwriters. I fell in love with her track Sampson a few years back and haven’t looked back!)
Anyway, that’s it. Check them out. Buy their stuff. Is an eclectic list this week (I’m trying to make this thing a weekly thing you see…will it happen?? Wait and see I suppose.)
K. That’ll do the ramble for now.
best of so far…
Ok. So, this is going to be moved into a page next to the best albums page. There’s been too many good albums so far this year and I thought I should start to collate a list. I think it’ll be a pretty long list by years end though…haha. So, anyway, i’ll put them up here, and then create a page with them with a few mini review kind of things.
Ok. Here goes.
Passion Pit – Manners.
Peaches – I Feel Cream
The Little Stevies – Love Your Band
The Whitest Boy Alive – Rules
Grizzly Bear – Veckatimest
Death Cab For Cutie – The Open Door EP
Ok, so after looking through all the albums i’ve bought/downloaded this year, I’ve realised that not all of them were actually released this year.
So, I think a second list is in order. Albums i’ve bought/downloaded this year that weren’t released this year that i’ve loved. Long title. I know. You’ll get over it.
Cut Copy – Far Away EP
Cut Off Your Hands – You And I
Josh Pyke – Chimney’s Afire
Sia – Some People Have Real Problems
Ratatat – LP3
The Bang Gang DeeJays – D Is For Disco, E Is For Dancing
K. So, it’s pretty diverse I reckon. Good stuff so far this year.
I’m sure the list’ll be addedd to soon 🙂
To finish off with, some of my favourite tracks of the year so far. Just for you guys. I’m sweet aren’t I? Yeah, I know.
The Golden Filter – Solid Gold
Passion Pit – Little Secrets
Bombay Bicycle Club – Always Like This
K. That’ll do the ramble for now.