So last year, we wrote about a new Melbourne based singer-songwriter. His name was Matt Walters and the track we posted was called I Would Die For You and it featured the ever good Megan Washington. To say that song went absolutely gangbusters is a massive understatement. It was one of the most popular posts from last year, and the track reached the top 5 on the Hype Machine.
It was, simply, an amazing, well written song, full of brush work and sweet acoustic guitar, Matt’s almost haunted voice and Washington’s Aussie tinged vocal magic (sounds wanky, but true.)
Matt has his debut album ‘Farewell Youth’ coming out mid year, and to help set you up for it all, we got the first single from it just below. The album has been produced by Francois Tetaz who’s also worked with a few maamf faves – Gotye, Sally Seltmann, Bertie Blackman.
Anyway, the new single is called Horses, and it’s in the same vein as …Die For You. Mr Walters seems to have a thing for female bv’s. Horses features Kim Richey who’s done work with alt-country king Ryan Adams.
Enjoy this one. Reckon he could do alright this year!
ok. My name’s Miks, and I’m a commitment-phobe. Well…not really. But, it has been a while since I’ve posted up some new music. The Mix Tape is sort of the same thing I know, but meh. This entry lists a few tracks that were part of the Mid May MIXTAPE entry too. Again, meh!
Hahahaha…ok, so here’s the list. It’s pretty good. Sounds a bit like a remix that entry. But yeah, you know what word I’m going to say to that.
- In For The Kill (Lifelike Remix) – La Roux (Good song! Never really thought I’d get into these guys. But, I am. I think their appearance on the new Kitsune Compilation may help along with the La Roux love! Also, Lifelike has been getting around. Not in a sexual sense. Obviously. Actually, I’m not sure…ok…umm this is getting weird. haha)
- Too Fake – Hockey (Posted this last week I know. But it’s still definately a favourite track at the moment. Great band. Looking forward to hearing some more stuff from these guys.)
- Kids – Chiddy Bang vs. MGMT (Found this on Hype Machine. This guy rips this song in half and makes it Hip Hop. And, although it sounds pretty mainstream, is a fun track.)
- Symphonies (Passion Pit Remix) – Dan Black (Obviously, anything Passion Pit is popular at the moment. They’re probably about the biggest band of the moment hands down (Grizzly Bear are probably a close second). Don’t know much about Dan Black…other than this is a good track)
- It’s Not My Problem (Thin White Duke Remix) – Sneaky Sound System (I use to love these guys a few years ago. Then they got a little commercial (Not that that’s a bad thing) and I just didn’t like their stuff as much. I downloaded this track off a whim…and am pretty impressed. Connie Mitchell can still sing damn well. Cooooool voice!)
- Out Of Control (Acoustic) – Dash & Will (Once again, I downloaded this track because it was free. And, i’ve liked some of Dash & Will’s stuff. Kinda like a grown up Veronicas (Can’t believe I just wrote that. Argh). But they’re better than the Veronicas. Much better)
- One Week Of Danger – The Virgins (Why the hell aren’t these guys massive? From what I gather, they must be pretty big in the UK and the US going by song polls and best of 2008 album write ups. Hopefully they’ll start getting more radio play here. Great sound.)
- Bulletproof – La Roux (Hmm…I must like these guys. Maybe I should get their album. Bulletproof is their latest single, and is, I think, their best one so far.)
- Lisztsomania (Yuksek Remix) – Phoenix (Another massive band of the moment. And with fellow Frenchman Yuksek behind this remix, the song rips ‘grand temps’. I was never that good at French at high school.)
- Something Good Can Work – Two Door Cinema Club (Good, fun sounding track. Appears on the new Kitsune compilation which comes out next month I think)
- Laughing With – Regina Spektor (Cool. Got that ‘quirk’ factor that sets her apart from other piano based singer songwriters. I fell in love with her track Sampson a few years back and haven’t looked back!)
Anyway, that’s it. Check them out. Buy their stuff. Is an eclectic list this week (I’m trying to make this thing a weekly thing you see…will it happen?? Wait and see I suppose.)
K. That’ll do the ramble for now.
ok. So I have been listening to a few pretty cool tracks lately. A lot of them are thanks to Launchpad Uplate on Nova here in Melbourne (I think this show is national too though. Something like 10-1130 Monday to Thursday nights). Others are thanks to HypeMachine. Gotta love it. Anyway, here’s my list.
- Coin Laundry – Lisa Mitchell (This is fresh – downloaded this morning. I’m not sure about it yet. I like it, but I think it’s gonna have to get a few more listens till I make up my mind)
- Your Call – Hermitude Feat. Urthboy and Alana Stone (I know I put this up last time, but it is still on high rotation. The beginning of the track is damn sweet and the little “I get confused making my mind up. Are you the fuse that could light me up” line in the middle is too darn catchy.)
- The Lighthouse Song – Josh Pyke (Finally decided I needed this album and I’ll finish downloading it when I get home tonight. This track is pretty good too!!)
- Pool Party 2009 – Shazam (New up and comer DJ/Remixer guy from Perth. Pretty disposable but still, is a sweet tune.)
- You’ve Got A Lot Of Nerve – Red Riders (Heard this on Launchpad last night. Great track.)
- I’m Not Alone – Calvin Harris (Sounds different to his other stuff which I like. Somebody said it had more of an underground/indie disco sound. I think parts of it do, but the rest is just his trademark commercial dance/trance kinda stuff._
- Always Like This – Bombay Bicycle Club (Heard this on Hype Machine Radio this morning (you can check out Hype Machine Radio here – they do a weekly podcast and basically just put together the most popular tracks of the week.)
- Shooting Stars – Bag Raiders (my mention of bag raiders in the Bonnie Prince post, was because it was about the only other thing I was listening to at the time. And, they haven’t left the iPod)
- Lion (Bag Raiders Remix) – ZZZ (ZZZ did a remix of Bag Raiders’ track Fun Punch a while ago and made it into a crazy psychotic piano driven track. Listen to it. It will make you nuts! This track is really good though – Bag Raiders returning the favour.)
Short list this time around. Still, there is some good stuff there. Any suggestion about tracks I should check out? Post a comment and let me know!
K. That’ll do the ramble for now.